Saturday 9 May 2020

A Year of Haikus : Work

A haiku is a Japanese poem that aims to capture a surprising or touching moment in words, often connected with nature or the changing seasons. They’re usually 3 lines long, with a strict syllable count for each line, so that composing them is often a bit like solving a crossword puzzle.

I've been keeping a daily haiku diary for almost 5 years that gives me a kind of alternative snapshot for the day, and, over time, the year. Many of them are work related, covering moments of poignancy, risk and humour. This is a selection of haikus from a random year before the lockdown began.


Some of these were inspired by encounters with people in the community, in empty properties and hostels – others reflect moments in office life.

-o-

Once missing person
shows up without any hair.
No time to see us


Spied from a window
in the hospital courtyard.
Last season’s tenant.


Small peer support group
reflects on homelessness’ scars.
Outside, squirrels play


Hoarded memories
sealed, thirty years ago, fill
the unfurnished flat.


Flowing from rooftops,
the morning’s flash snowfall thaws,
trickling like fountains.


Tension is contained
inside assessment. Outside
small dogs shred cushions.


Leaving hospital
after seven weeks, with life
stored in plastic bags.


He’d cleared up for me,
but my eye was still drawn by
out of place hammer.


Hailed like a taxi
by three managers running
late for a meeting.


Man in a wheelchair
faces an earthbound future
unable to fly.


Glasses left at home
I must be my colleague’s eyes,
while he is my hands.


Less than a year old,
an innocent smile lights up
the homeless drop-in


Behind net curtains,
magpie pecks glass quizzically
while I finish work.


When depression laughs
with me, I feel redemption.
It’s funny and true.


-o-



No comments:

Post a Comment